Thursday, May 6, 2010

Steven's Chess Cake 2


Cake #1
The Good: The cake itself was delicious
The Bad: The edges decided to come out of the pan while the middle wanted to stay in the pan.
With no more cake mix, no more eggs and no more patience I had to go to the store…
Cake #2
The Bad: This time the cake batter didn’t taste nearly as good and for some unknown reason, and this cake decided it didn’t want to rise.
The Good: At least the Cake Came out of the pan…
Boy do these cakes have a mind of their own. I decided just to lay out my plan for the cake, and realized I didn’t have the right measurements with this new cake. 7x12 wouldn’t fit the 9x13 size I needed for the pieces! As I started freak out and almost break down, Steven came in to rescue me. (Keep in mind to this point I tried to keep the cake a surprise) I caved in and let him help me solve the measurement problem. We “glued” some of Cake #1 onto Cake #2 and made it the appropriate size. Next I rolled out the fondant which covered the cake mistake and cut 32 little black squares. After the squares were finally on the board and it looked pretty nice I decide to go to bed and finish in the morning.
The following day I placed the pieces on top of the cake and was finally done. You would never know how many problems I had! the cake looked FABI!!! Thanks to Dustin for teaching me fondant and Steven for rescuing me. Who knows what kind of cake he’ll ask for next year. But with this cake behind me I’ll be ready for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment