Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stevens Birthday Chess Cake Part I


Oh the adventure this lovely cake gave me.

When I asked Steven what kind of birthday cake he wanted I figured that he would say one of his favorites. Maybe: apple pie, Cheesecake or an ice cream cake. Boy was I wrong. Out of his mouth came, A CHESS CAKE… Wanting to make him happy and not knowing what I was getting myself into I agreed. Hey I enjoy being creative!
We were having Steven’s birthday party the weekend of April 10th. At the end of March we began to look for chocolate molds and chocolate, and found everything we thought we would need. After a suggestion from my boss I recalculated my plan and decided to buy new supplies from the local cake shop. Of course they were only open twice a week and I heard stories of a cranky old owner. Despite arriving ten minutes before close, the owner was nice and $20.00 later I headed home.
To make things less time consuming as the party loomed I made the pieces a week early…. The problem was trying to figure out how I would stick the two piece halves together. I tried tooth picks, but after all the milk chocolate pieces had set, I realized that was a bad idea so I broke them all off. Later that day my friend Dustin! came over to teach me how to make the fondant for the chess squares. Thank God he’s a great teacher! We made delicious fondant one batch for the white squares, and one for the black.
I thought the cake would be the easiest part but man I was wrong!

1 comment: